Saturday, July 31, 2010

Passionfruit Cupcakes.


Right outside my front door there is a passionfruit vine. It is a crazy big vine that is now covered with ripe passionfruit. I had a few ideas on how to use my abundance of passionfruit but not much in the pantry to back up my ideas. I had everything I needed for cupcakes, so cupcakes it was.


The recipe for this cake said just to mix all ingredients together. Not knowing how that would turn out I chose to use the regular method I’d use for a cake batter, creaming the butter and sugar and so on.

The cupcake turned out really nicely, except next time I think I’ll probably strain the seeds out of the passionfruit pulp. I left the seeds in thinking they’d look really nice through the cake, which they did. Personally though I didn’t enjoy the crunch factor.


To me, the best part of these was the frosting. Seriously! I could have sat down with the bowl and a spoon. A lot of love for passionfruit icing.



Passionfruit Butter Cake

(addapted from- Women's Weekly Cupcakes, Cheesecakes, Cookies)

90 grams butter
½ (110 grams) caster sugar
2 eggs
1 cup (150grams) self raising flour
¼ cup (60 mls) passionfruit pulp

To make the cupcakes- preheat your oven to 180 degrees c. Line a regular size cupcake tin with 12 cupcake papers.

In a medium size bowl cream together the butter and the sugar until its pale in colour.

Add the eggs one at a time, beating the mixture well after each addition.

Add the flour, continue mixing until all the flour is incorporated.

Stir through the passionfruit pulp.


Divide the batter evenly between the 12 cupcake pans.


Bake the cupcakes in a moderate oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until they are golden and spring back when you poke them.


Remove the cupcakes from the baking tray and let cool completely on wire rack before frosting.

Passionfruit Frosting

60 grams butter (softened)
1 ½ cups icing sugar
3 teaspoons passionfruit pulp (seedless)

To make the icing- beat the butter in a medium bowl until it is as lightly coloured as possible.

Gradually beat in the icing sugar, followed by the passionfruit pulp to taste.

Spread the frosting over the cooled cupcakes.

(For the flowers I rolled out a little white fondant and cut with a small flower cutter. Into the middles I pressed 3 pink cachous).

10 comments:

  1. These look so lovely, I'm super jealous of your passion fruit vine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of using passion fruit. I'd love telling people what's in the cupcakes. How fun.

    Plan B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Passionfruit butter cake is such a fond memory I have of my childhood. I really adore it, especially the butter icing. How lucky you are to have a vine full of fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing! And where did your passion fruit vine come from? We planted some fruit trees 2 years ago but no fruit yet :( haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is so sweet, and these look great. I love that everything from your teapot to the passionfruit's skins matches in color, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so inspiratonal Kara! love the way you make it sound so simple yet, look so beautiful.
    You make any women on a diet, want to be very naughty haha. Oh and my hubby looks at what you cookng and tells me to get in the kitchen! Thanks for that haha. no seriously, Keep it up, looking foward to your next blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yuuuum, can imagine the zingy zangy passionfruit and it's gorgeous fragrance now. Excited to try these really soon for a new flavour hit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mum would adore these. We love passionfruit icing too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. they sound so yummy.....unfortunatly we don´t have passionfruit vines in Germany! But I will definitly try these Cupcakes in Summer!!!

    ReplyDelete