Sunday, January 9, 2011

Mini Chocolate Mudcakes


It seems that almost everyone I know have birthdays that fall in either October or January. Happy birthday Peter, I made you these cakes yesterday but still haven't given them to you.

I used my Kitchenaid for the first time! The recipe probably didn't really need it but I had to use it sometime. Usually after I bake, the dishes and cleanup tend to get forgotten about until later. Not this time thought, my mixer was clean within minutes, back to looking shiny and new on my kitchen bench.

Because I made a mess of the cupcake wrappers I ended up taking them off after baking, they didn't look pretty but boy were they yummy. They are some seriously rich cakes, bam a punch of chocolate straight to the face! My number one tip, have a big glass of milk handy. If you don't like the milk idea you could always warm the cake a little in the microwave and eat it with a dollop of cream, or go nuts, make it ice cream.

Chocolate Mudcakes (Adapted from Cupcakes Cheesecakes Cookies.)

165 grams butter
100 grams dark eating chocolate (coarsely chopped)
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup coffee liqueur (I used Tia Maria)
1 cup plain flour
2 tablespoons self raising flower
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 egg

To make the cakes- Preheat oven to 170 degrees c. Line cupcake pan with 12 cupcake papers.

Combine butter, sugar, water and Tia Maria in a small saucepan, stir over a low heat until all are melted together. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.


Sift together flours and cocoa, whisk into cooled chocolate mixture. Add the egg and mix until combined.


Divide the mixture evenly into the cupcake pan. (You can choose to be messy like me, or not)


Bake cakes for about one hour. Transfer cakes onto a wire rack to cool.


Spread top of cakes with a generous amount of ganache.

Dark Chocolate Ganache

250 grams dark eating chocolate
125 mills thickened cream

To make the ganache- finely chop the dark chocolate, transfer chopped chocolate to a medium size bowl.


Bring cream to a boil in a small saucepan, pour the hot cream over the chocolate. whisk together until thick, smooth and glossy.

4 comments:

  1. Mmm, a glass of milk with these rich and beautiful cakes would be beautiful! I'm sure your friend will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the first use of the kitchen aid (has he/she got a name yet?)
    I've not come to grips with cupcake wrappers yet either but these guys sound lovely, shall be storing this recipe for later use ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had troubles with those cupcake wrappers too. They look so pretty, but as soon as the batter goes in it goes downhill from there!!
    How nice is it to use your Kitchenaid for the first time!? I love mine so much!
    There is nothing more delicious than a fresh chocolate cupcake, I am sure Peter will be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the best choc mud cake recipe I've found, I make it all the time using different liqueurs. It's fantastic. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete